Skip to main content
Close Up of a United Kingdom Driving Licence

What Licence Do I Need To Drive A Motorhome?


  1. The C1 Licence
  2. How to Get a C1 Licence for a Motorhome
  3. Eligibility
  4. Medical
  5. Application
  6. Theory
  7. Practical
  8. A-class Motorhomes at Go European

The C1 Licence Is a Requirement for Heavier Motorhomes

You may be looking into buying an A-class motorhome, and wondering whether there are any driving licence implications that come with ownership. This is an interesting subject to look into, as it is actually fully legal to drive most motorhomes on the UK’s standard category B driving licence (i.e. under the same categorisation which allows you to drive a car). However, these motorhomes must not exceed a maximum loading weight of 3,500kg. There are some larger motorhomes which require a higher categorisation – the C1 licence. This includes most A-class motorhomes you will find at Go European.

The C1 Licence

A motorhome with a maximum loading weight of above 3,500kg requires the driver to obtain a C1 licence. This additional categorisation can last anywhere between one and five years (for those younger than 44 it needs renewing every five years, and for those over 44 it needs renewing annually). However, if you passed your driving test in the years prior to January 1st, 1997, the C1 entitlement is already present on your licence, and it will not be necessary to undergo the process required for obtaining it. You will, though, be required to pass a medical assessment which tests your vision.

How to Get a C1 Licence for a Motorhome

For those who passed their driving test after January 1st, 1997, the process for gaining a C1 category driving licence is as follows.

1. Eligibility

It’s important to check that you are eligible to apply for C1 licensing. You must be above 18 years of age, and you must already hold a driving licence covered by category B.

2. Medical

A medical assessment will be required, and this should be completed by a doctor. In advance of the assessment you should complete the D4 form online, which asks for details of your medical history and / or conditions which could have a bearing on your ability to drive (and therefore, ultimately, the safety of yourself and your passengers).

3. Application

Once you have passed the medical element of the application, you should apply for a provisional licence (via the D2 from the DVLA). After completing this you should send the D2 (along with the D4) to the DVLA and they will issue your provisional licence. Once you have this you will be able to start learning to handle vehicles with a maximum weight of 7500kg. However, any driving in these vehicles must be accompanied by a person who has held a full C1, C1E, C or CE licence for a minimum of three years.

4. Theory

There are three theory tests which you must pass before you can take the practical test. These theory tests encompass multiple choice questions, hazard perception and case studies. You can book your theory tests online at

5. Practical

Once you have passed the theory elements, you can book a practical test. When you take it, expect it to last approximately an hour and a half, and expect to be assessed on your driving skills and your safety awareness. If you pass, you should receive your driving licence with the C1 categorisation within two weeks.

A-class Motorhomes at Go European

In a previous edition of our blog we discussed the comparisons that exist between coachbuilt and A-class motorhomes. Here at Go European, we stock models from both classes, and you can explore our website to find them. Once you have found a vehicle you. Like and that that looks like it’s ‘the one for you’, please don’t hesitate to get in touch. Similarly, if you have any queries arising from this edition of our blog, or would like to ask us anything else, our friendly staff will be more than pleased to assist if you contact us.

Go European Find us
Go European Motorhomes, 80 Lakeside Boulevard, Cannock, WS11 0GW


Sign up to the Go European newsletter and stay up to date with news and offers.

    [utm_source_cf7 utm_source_cf7-861] [utm_medium_cf7 utm_medium_cf7-163] [utm_term_cf7 utm_term_cf7-650] [utm_content_cf7 utm_content_cf7-32] [utm_campaign_cf7 utm_campaign_cf7-248] [first_utm_source_cf7 first_utm_source_cf7-575] [fbclid_cf7 fbclid_cf7-91] [msclkid_cf7 msclkid_cf7-622] [gclid_cf7 gclid_cf7-339] [handl_original_ref_cf7 handl_original_ref_cf7-184] [handl_landing_page_cf7 handl_landing_page_cf7-563] [handl_ip_cf7 handl_ip_cf7-957] [handl_ref_cf7 handl_ref_cf7-697] [handl_url_cf7 handl_url_cf7-949] [handl_ref_domain_cf7 handl_ref_domain_cf7-256] [handl_url_base_cf7 handl_url_base_cf7-627] [email_cf7 email_cf7-976] [username_cf7 username_cf7-967] [gaclientid_cf7 gaclientid_cf7-389] [organic_source_cf7 organic_source_cf7-746] [organic_source_str_cf7 organic_source_str_cf7-26] [user_agent_cf7 user_agent_cf7-779] [traffic_source_cf7 traffic_source_cf7-609] [handlID_cf7 handlID_cf7-60]